Color Guard is a Science:
- It is exact, specific. It demands precise execution. A designer’s drill is a chart; a graph which indicates x- and y-coordinates for constantly changing geometric shapes and forms in both time and space. Our equipment and props are always pushing the laws of physics with force and speed, action and reaction. All of this is done with an incredible control of time.
- It is rhythmically and metrically based on the subdivision of time into fractions which must be done instantaneously. We use angles, degrees (both acute and obtuse), sequences, ranges, and hypotenuse.
- It is a visual picture alive with messages and meanings. We use interpretive phrases, sentences, and words in music, which is the universal language. Shows are created for others to see, feel, and understand. It is a language which is recited and shared both near and far.
- It can be influenced by the environment and times of its creation, or it can reflect the past as well as the future. It can send us to a far away country or bring us closer to home. We are rich in our heritage and have forefathers as well.
- It requires fantastic coordination of fingers, hands, arms, feet, and legs, in addition to extraordinary control of the back, stomach, and torso. They are all called upon to respond instantly to the sound the ear hears and the sight the eye sees. Color guard is based around endurance, ability, strength, and balance.
- It is a game that we play with others, in which we share and shine. We compete with ourselves to perform better each time. We compete with others to push ourselves to achieve greatness. It allows us to learn more about our confidence, fear, self-esteem, and self-image. As we perform better on the field, we perform better as a person, expressing feelings and sharing our dreams. It is a chance to realize our attitude is what makes us or breaks us. It is a kind of mind set with an increased awareness which challenges us to realize the potential in ourselves.
- It is a show which can be entertaining and enlightening, with directing, acting, producing, managing, and touring. We use colors, fashions, flair, excitement, pizzazz, sophistication, and subtlety. We are always realizing the triad of audience, performer, and designer, the Triad of Performance.
- It allows a human being to learn how to take all of these things (some dry and boring, some difficult and challenging) and use them to create emotion, one of the most important things in this world.